Thursday, April 17, 2008

Collaborating

This is a short post because I need to get some sleep. My daughter has decided to start waking up 2 hours earlier and my son is not sleeping through the night. Despite these setbacks Michael and I have been working tirelessly at Kountr. There are 3 new features that we are excited about: Your Kounts, Your Recent and KountDown. The wonderful thing about these features is the way Michael and I collaborated.

These collaborations were great because we did it without any tension. We are both tired and have been a little less patient with each other. Your Kounts and Your Recent was formed from my inability to keep track of my kounts and my friends kounts. I blame this on baby brain. So, we discussed how we could figure out a solution without logins. The idea is completely Michael's but I pushed him in the direction. KountDown is more of a collaboration. We couldn't figure out how to do a KountDown without needing a second server. In short, Michael came up the idea of starting the kount as a negative value so that the kount counts down as it is incremented. This makes the back end of a KountDown the same as a KountUp. I suggested we display the absolute values so that users are not confused by the negative signs. It was great to see Michael getting more and more excited about the solution as we continued to talk.

I cherish these talks because it is a conversation that we both are able to contribute to and be excited about. I sometimes feel like we are living different lives with me as an at-home mom and Michael at work but that is another post for another day.

No comments: