Monday, June 2, 2008

Email Problems

We were using SquirrelMail version 1.4.5 but it did not satisfy our needs. Mail that was sent looked unprofessional. It is text based instead of HTML. For us laypersons, it looked old school... it used the old school typewriter font and a new line would start part way through sentences.

I had two problems with SquirrelMail in the last 24 hours which forced me to look at alternatives. The first problem was my own fault. I forgot to insert a subject line in a very important email and SquirrelMail didn't point out my mistake. I also noticed that it does not have a spellcheck. Spellcheck is important to me because I tend to send email in the wee hours. Then, when I followed up with a subject line SquirrelMail sent the email twice. Needless to say, I am concerned that the recipient of the email will be unhappy with my correspondence. I hope that this person is understanding and uses Kountr.

My first attempt to fix the problem was to send mail through my personal Gmail account. This looked fine in Gmail however, in Hotmail it says @mykountremail on behalf of @mypersonalemail. This is not sufficient for us. So, I decided to ditch SquirrelMail and create a Gmail account instead.

In my excitement, I changed my email address for this blog to the new kountr email address and removed my personal email address. Now, my profile says that I have been blogging since June 2008 even though I have posts from April 2008. Oops... I didn't realize that this would occur. Fortunately, I don't foresee this being a problem.

No comments: